Asthma Bhawan developed a Rehabilitation center recently in which individual exercise and group education both are done for those with a variety of pulmonary disease.
- Yoga: Yoga is an approach of life, an art of virtuous living or an incorporated system for the advantage of the body, mind and inner spirit. You learn to use your body, breath and mind to stretch, relax and energize yourself.
1.In the morning hours at Asthma Bhawan there is a session of yoga for the Patients and Staff. Yoga is all about feeling good; feel the blood surging through your veins, the energy pulsating through your nerves, the bliss coursing through your whole being. Best of all, Yoga is apt for all, regardless of age, color, caste, creed or religion; from the healthiest to the sickest, from the richest to the poorest, from the whitest to the blackest.
- Benefits of Yoga:
- Brings down stress and enhances powers of relaxation
- Boosts physical strength, stamina and flexibility
- Bestows greater powers of concentration and self control
- Inculcates impulse Control
- Helps in rehabilitation of old and new injuries
- Intensifies tolerance to pain and enhancing mental clarity
- Boosts functioning of the immune system
- Enhances posture and muscle tone
- Improves blood circulation
- Results in healthy, glowing skin
- Cleanses and improves overall organ functioning
- Bestows peace of mind and a more positive outlook to life
- Infuses a sense of balance and internal harmony
- Pranayama: Pranayama is a part of yoga. Pranayama literary means is breathe control. Although breathing is one of our involuntary bodily functions (it happens whether you think about it or not, if you are alive) we can also control the breath to some extent. Exercises in breath control, such as breath retention and deliberate methods inhalation and exhalation for specific mental and physical benefits are called Pranayama.
During breathing for Pranayama inhalation (puraka) stimulates the system and fills the lungs with fresh air; retention (kumbhaka) raises the internal temperature and plays an important part in increasing the absorption of oxygen; exhalation (rechak) causes the diaphragm to return to the original position and air full of toxins and impurities is forced out by the contraction of inter-costal muscles. These are the main components leading to Pranayama which massage the abdominal muscles and tone up the working of various organs of the body. Due to the proper functions of these organs, vital energy flows to all the systems. The success of Pranayama depends on proper ratios being maintained between inhalation, exhalation and retention.
- Meditation: Meditation which are thought to lead to spiritual experience and profound understanding or insight into the nature of existence. Meditation is a state of concentrated attention on some object of thought or awareness. It is a self regulation of attention, in the service of self-inquiry, in the here and now. It usually involves turning the attention inward to a single point of reference.The benefits of the practice can engender a higher state of consciousness.
Asthma Bhawan has its own meditation center at the first floor of the asthma Bhawan building.